Thursday, July 26, 2012

Something usefull - at last


Couple of weeks ago I had serious doubts about continuing my CMS, after seeing this video.

I thought why should I make CMS when so many other already done it much better than I ever could.
But then I realized that thinking that way is like thinking "Why should I go for a run, when there is always someone who runs faster". Building CMS is not a composition, at least - not for me.

I'we bumped into some interesting articles recently, like What's the least You can expect from a modern CMS. That is a quite good list of things to do in my CMS. Not all at once, but little by little.

As I told earlier I renamed by CMS to Cimbic. There has been progress with the system, new GitHub repository, redone namespacing (for the 3rd time), now I will follow PSR–2 conding conventions. Although I don't totally agree with all of the rules, following that style guide will produce clean, easy-to read code.

The Cimbic will not use any database to store the content. At this point I'we managed to get Cimbic to provide static .htm files with free hierarchy. The content is wrapped in html generated from Dwoo templates. If the requested content doesn't exist, Cimbic will show custom 404-page. First time since I started the project and this blog I actually have something someone could use as base for their web-page.

Cimbic hierarchy in a nutshell:

  somesite.net –launches–> Cimbic –extends–> JSFramework

Aim is that the site (somesite.net) has as little business logic as possible, only php-script at the moment is Public/index.php - used only for launching Cimbic-instance.

Now that I got the displaying of content to work, the next steps (after I get the tests to work again…) is to implement editing of the content, session management and so on. I'm going to try using Create.js for editing content. Their demo is SO cool! Definitly something I want my CMS to have - simply elegant.

I'll put the CMS live to my homepage in progress. And as always, I will share everything on GitHub, possibly be the most important social network in existence.

Keep on coding!

No comments:

Post a Comment