Monday, December 2, 2013

Days Without blogging: 0

My latest project "Days Without" went online more than a month ago.

Update 2013-12-12: Could not resolve the problem, somewhat related to Symfony2 version, rolled back to MVP version.
Update 2013-12-04: New version of "Days without" is currently broken - Ill try to fix it during the weekend.

Days Without is a day counter for ... anything, really. The idea came from need to have a counter for how many days I've been without sweets. But why stop there? I could make counters "on demand" - in fact anyone could make counters.

Original idea was to have two buttons at counter, "+1" and "Reset". The Plus-button would increase the counter by one day and Reset would reset it to zero. After presenting my idea to coworkers I realized that having to push the +1 button every day would be a pain in the ass. Just as easily (if not even easier) I could make the counter "automatic" - so I did.

Minimum Viable Product

I wanted to get Days Without out as fast as possible. So I made list of what would be the MVP.

  • Counters could be made
  • Counters would count the days since last reset (or creation)
  • Counters could be reseted
  • URL's to counters would be human readable and easy to remember

The next steps would be

  • Password-protected counters
  • Counter listing (newest, last reseted etc)
  • List of users counters
  • Sharing to Facebook & Twitter
  • Commenting on reset
  • Reset history of counter (date, day-count, comment ...)

The MVP is done, password protected counters are almost. The app is still quite fresh and might (probably will) lose it's data at some point. Do not be suprised if that happens.

Codes can be downloaded and contibuted at GitHub and the site is live at Feikki.fi/dayswithout

All feedback is more than welcome. Comment below or tweet me @JSomerstone #DaysWithout

Coming up next: "Wearing a White hat"

No comments:

Post a Comment